February 8, 2009

what a mess



Our church is having its annual turkey dinner.We were asked to cook a turkey.Well they had several turkeys left with no one to cook them so we volunteered to cook 2 turkeys.
All was fine--- so we thought. Both turkeys fit in the oven side by side in 2 separate pans. The oven bags instructions say to cook the turkeys in a 2 inch deep roasting pan.We did that for one the other was in a deeper roasting pan. The instructions are to start the turkey cooking at 250 degrees at 11:00p.m. and cook all night.I checked at 3:30 a.m. and they were done. I did not turn on a light---- just checked the turkey.Well I should have turned on the light because the turkey had over flowed the pans and there was such a mess.picture shows Dh was down cleaning under the stove.
Dh got up and took the turkeys to the church at 7:00 a.m.I got up to find we were not going to church but we were on our hands and knees so I hope that counts for something.
I am thankful there was a throw rug in front of the stove. Turkey fat is the worst. I washed the rug 3 times.
Next year we will bake pies.

No comments: