November 30, 2010

Dry - brined turkey


2 Posts in one day.!
I wanted to share a picture of our small Thanksgiving turkey. It was just 12 pounds.
I again did the dry-brined turkey.
This is what I did.
A little less than 1/4 cup Kosher salt
Pat salt all over the outside of the thawed turkey.
Put in a sealed plastic bag for 4 days. Start with breast side down.
Rotate each day. Juices will be drawn out then reabsorbed.
Stuff cavity with celery,onions and carrots.
Bake breast side down,on a v rack, for 30 min at 400 degrees
add 1 cup water to roasting pan. Roast another 30 mins. add another cup of water.
Turn the turkey over using wads of paper towels or as we do use the gloves from the rotisserie.Tent with aluminum foil if bird is to brown.
add another 2 cups of water,cook until breast temp is 170 degrees.
The juices run when it is cut.Meat is moist, even when cold.

Here is where I got the recipe. I did not use as much salt this year. You need to go below the google adds.
http://blog.how-to-cook-gourmet.com/how-to-cook-a-turkey-and-gravy.html

Best turkeys I have ever done.j

No comments: