March 8, 2010

2 new recipes/cake and bread


Two new recipes.
Coconut cake.Over on http://www.theoldcupboarddoorblog.com/
Willa has a really good cake recipe.
I could not find the coconut cream at our grocery so I left it out.Just using the sweetened condensed milk.

Tonight I am going to serve strawberries from our garden over the cake the cool whip, coconut flakes and choc. on top of the strawberries. I will let you know how it is.
I tried to hide the sample I tried but as you can see in the corner I didn't quite get that done. The sample was really good with the rest of the goodies on it,-----it will be sinful.

Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) packaged white cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 (14 ounce) can coconut cream
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
The coconut cream is found in the mixed drink (cocktail drinks) aisle of the grocery store

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs, oil, water and coconut extract. Hand beat for 2 mins and pour into the floured pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

In medium bowl, combine the coconut cream with the sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. When the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes into it in even rows using a large fork or chopsticks. Pour the cream mixture over, and allow it to soak into the cake. Allow to stand at room temp for 30 minutes and then refrigerate several hours or overnight.

In a large bowl, whisk whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle top with flaked coconut. I like to grate some chocolate on top of the whipped cream.
You can use Cool whip for the topping if you prefer.
Note: I use only half of the cream mixture. The full amount makes the cake very heavy but very good!!
Posted by The Old Cupboard Door at 12:00 AM 7 comments
Thursday, February 18, 2010



Over on Sandra's blog,
http://simplysandras.blogspot.com/2009/07/garlic-pull-apart-bread.html
She has a recipe for pull apart garlic bread.Let me tell you it is so good.I made 2 loaves yesterday using the frozen bread dough.

I cut it into 8 pieces then cut those in half. I followed the recipe directions but I did not use as much garlic. I used 1 and 3/4 Tablespoons and we like less garlic so I will only use 1 tablespoon the next time I make it.It took a couple hours for it to rise.
The mix was enough to do both loaves.I poured the remaining mixture over the top. I hate to waste anything.

This is Sandra's recipe.
You can make it with any white flour bread dough. You just make your bread as usual and then after it has risen once, you cut it into pieces like this or about 15 pieces per loaf:

In a small bowl, melt a stick of butter and add 2 TBS of beaten egg, 3 TBS garlic salt and 1 TBS parsley. Mix it up and dip each piece into the mixture and place in a greased loaf pan. For one loaf recipe use a one regular size loaf pan. They will be squished up real tight, but that is what you want so that it rises high. Doesn't it look good already???
Let it rise again, about 30 minutes and pop it in a preheated 350 oven for about 25 minutes. Brush the tops with butter and sprinkle some garlic on top. Then just pull a piece off and eat it!! My family LOVES this bread! I was going to take a picture of it when it came out, but everyone was digging in it before I remembered, so I only got the one lone piece at the top.


If you want to make it with frozen dough, here is what you do:


Thaw a one pound loaf of frozen dough on the counter for about 15 minutes. Cut into 15 pieces. They will be hard. Mix the butter, garlic, egg and parsley and dip each piece and put it in a regular loaf pan. Let rise for 1-1/2 hours and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Have a good week.
j

No comments: